When One Size Doesn’t Fit All: Different Levels of Care Can Meet Individual Needs
Learn more about how TND walks alongside Tennessee women struggling with substance use disorders.
Pregnancy and Addiction
The most vulnerable women The Next Door serves are our pregnant clients. These women walk through our doors in active addiction and are in dire need of treatment services for both them and their unborn children. If women don’t get help, there can be serious negative health outcomes for pregnant women and their developing babies, […]
Is Your Teen At-Risk for Addiction?
The statistics about the use of drugs and alcohol by our nation’s teens are alarming. The Centers for Disease Control reports that by 12th grade about two-thirds of students have tried alcohol, about half of high schoolers have used marijuana, and 20% of 12th graders have used prescription medicine without a prescription. The National Center […]
Addiction and Faith
As The Next Door delivers its addiction treatment services, it does so with faith being at the heart. “Everything we do, from staff meetings to client care, upholds a Christ-centered focus,” says Ray Brocato, the CEO of The Next Door. “Our goal is to meet the women’s spiritual needs as well as their physical and […]
Do You Believe in Miracles?
– Written by Rev. Tambi Swiney “Do you believe in miracles? Yes!” During the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, broadcaster Al Michaels uttered these memorable words as the final seconds ticked off the clock during the medal round of the men’s ice hockey tournament. This game between the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. would determine […]
Monday Meditation: Healing
– Written by Rev. Tambi Swiney As a child, I was fascinated by the story of the four men who carried their paralyzed friend on a mat to Jesus because they believed that Jesus could heal him. Since a large crowd had gathered to hear Jesus that day, when the friends arrived at the house […]
Alcohol Awareness Month: Withdrawal
– Written by Vanderbilt School of Nursing Students The Positive Effects of Quitting Alcohol Stopping and reducing your alcohol use has many positive effects on your body. This includes lowering blood pressure and cholesterol, and reducing your risk for heart failure and cancer. Quitting alcohol significantly increases life expectancy. Once you stop using alcohol, your […]
Monday Meditation: Easter Sunday and Trauma
– Written by Rev. Tambi Swiney Although we tend to focus on rejoicing on Easter Sunday, the gospel narratives remind us that the first Easter Sunday was the culmination of three days of trauma, and trauma doesn’t simply evaporate. Three days prior to the discovery of the empty tomb, Jesus’ partners in ministry scattered in […]
Monday Meditation: Do You See This Woman?
– Written by Rev. Tambi Swiney As The Next Door focuses on the core value of respect throughout 2021, we can turn to the Gospels and look to Jesus for inspiration. A story from Luke’s Gospel seems particularly relevant. A religious leader had invited Jesus to be his honored guest for dinner. The meal was […]
Monday Meditation: International Women’s Day
– Written by Rev. Tambi Swiney On International Women’s Day, the story of Ruth and Naomi seems fitting to contemplate. If you are unfamiliar with their story, the book of Ruth in the Old Testament is a compelling and quick read. Naomi, her husband, and their two sons left their home in Bethlehem because of […]Tagged Addictionaddiction recoveryAddiction treatmentfaithgospelRecoveryWomen